I used it for all my college prep and homework, my essays, blogging, videos, music recordings, photography and more. It’s how I earn my money for college, supplies, gas money, building my brand and website, etc.
Tonight after dinner, I was sitting in Starbucks with my study group, working on my math homework, tapping away on the keys on my laptop when a guy ran by and ripped it right out my hands. One of my friends chased after him, even grabbed his hair, but he got away by jumping in a getaway car. Turns out that it’s common for thugs to stake out coffeehouses and steal laptops right from people’s hands.
I filed a police report, but I know I’ll never get the laptop back. I know it is just a material object that can be replaced and I am so thankful that no one was hurt. VERY thankful. I feel like this experience really made me grow up and see that sometimes the world is not such a sunshiny place – there are a lot of sucky, mean folks out there. I feel like I lost a part of myself, violated. I don’t think I’ll ever forget this feeling. It motivates me to ALWAYS be on guard and be prepared for anything! What makes it hurt the most is that this laptop was a gift from my uncle. He was so proud of me for going to ASU that he bought me the laptop to help me with school. I dread having to tell him what happened.
My heart goes out to anyone who has been robbed before, big or small, it is a horrible experience to deal with. I feel blessed to have had to support of my friends and family tonight, they helped me stay strong in every way possible.
– If you are using your laptop at a public place, do not sit on the end seat of the table, you are an easy target.
– Make sure you know your serial number to your laptop.
– If you have a Mac, sign up for iCloud – they can track your laptop! (I didn’t do this)
– If it is stolen, immediately change your passwords to all your accounts.
– File a police report and call in your laptop’s serial number to the Mac store (if it is a Mac!), they will confiscate it if it is ever brought in.
– Don’t fight the robber over your computer, just let them take it, it’s not worth risking your life over!
– Always make sure to backup your files.
Now that I’m home, reality has set in that my lifeline to my small business has been handicapped. Yes, life will go on! Luckily, I can share my parents computer until I can afford to buy myself a new laptop! I already have about half of it in savings, thank goodness! No matter what, I will do my best to keep blogging and making videos, it’s become part of my life!
Sooo..In case there are any of you out there who are looking for a creative, resourceful way to invest your cash and bring yourself good karma, I’ve set up a donation button below and on the side bar.
UPDATE: I now am selling ad space only until I raise enough to buy a new laptop! Click here for ad rates! If you have a business and would like to purchase ad space here, I’ll promote your company/product on my blog or even make you a video for it! Heck, I’ll write a song for you about it! Email me and we can make an agreement!